Since sprinkles come in all kinds of colors, we can have them for any holiday. For the Fourth, they will go perfectly with our homemade ice cream. Our ice cream will be Milky Way.
Vanilla Bean Confetti Cookies
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup sugar
1 vanilla bean
1 large egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup sprinkles (I prefer jimmies over nonpareils)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes. Split the vanilla bean and scrape the seeds into the bowl. Add the egg and vanilla extract, and beat until thoroughly combined.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low, and slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. The dough will be thick (you may have to finish incorporating the mixture with a spatula). Fold in 1/4 cup of the sprinkles.
- Put the remaining 1/4 cup sprinkles in a bowl. Scoop up 2 tablespoons of dough and roll it into a ball. Dip the ball into the bowl of sprinkles to cover lightly. Put the ball on a plate. Repeat with the remaining sprinkles and dough, and chill for at least 2 hours.
- Put racks in the center and upper third of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Transfer the chilled dough balls to the prepared baking sheets, leaving about 2 inches of space in between each ball.
- Bake until the cookies have spread and are just beginning to brown around the edges, but are mostly pale and soft, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool on the cookie sheets for 5 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely. The cookies will keep in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Milky Way Ice Cream
1 3/4 cups sugar
2 Tablespoons vanilla
3 cups milk
3 cups whipping cream
6 Milky Way regular size candy bars
Melt candy and set aside to cool. (Mix one cup of the milk with the candy and melt in the microwave.) Beat eggs until foamy. Gradually add sugar; beat until thickened. Add milk, cream and vanilla; mix thoroughly. Fold in melted candy bars. Churn and freeze.